Even if smokey eyes makeup is a widely used technique, in reality it is not so simple as it appears to create it. For a stronger look, choose between shades of black, dark blue etc and for a softer, more natural style, you can also experiment with brown, plum etc. It takes a lot of technique and precision to avoid the risk of looking like a panda. So I'll share some of my tips with you to get the optimal result, very refined and at the same time very trendy.
- Start by drawing a line with a kohl pencil along the lash lines (top and the bottom one) and choose the same colour as the eyeshadow. The base of the smokey eye is the most important step. The difference between a kohl pencil and a normal one is that it's easier to apply and blend with a kohl pencil. It is also perfect as a base eyeshadow because it makes the matte effect last longer.
To make the right shape of your smokey eye, it is very important to have the right "tools" (brushes). My advice is to use a small stiff brush to smudge the kohl so as to have a good base. (If you have some experience with creating this look, you can even use your finger to blend the kohl). In this way, the eyeshadow will not end up in the wrong areas.
- Now take a small blender brush to spread the eye shadow. Apply the product on the line created with the kohl pencil, saturating it. I suggest to spread the eye shadow starting from the lash line and blend it upwards.
- Now, with the help of a soft brush, feather the edges of the colour you applied. Unfortunately the movement is not one of the easiest and it will take you a bit of experience to refine the technique, but with practice, you will quickly improve.
TOP TIP: the line of the eyebrows must remain perfectly clean.
- Do the same with the lower lash line.
TOP TIP: apply the full colour just along the lash line (top and bottom), to create the intensity of your look. Never put too much eyeshadow (colour) at the same time, it's better to increase the colour for a better result, instead of overdoing it. Otherwise you will need to wipe it up after (as it won't look clean).
At this point you should already see a gradation of pigments, from lash line (darker) to the upper eyelid (lighter).
- Add some 'shimmer' on your eyelid below the line of the eyebrows. The effect should be very light to give the illusion of flawless skin. Obviously the transition from dark eyeshadow to a shiny product should be gradual and not very strong.
TOP TIP: finally, once your look is finished you can use a moistened cotton swab (preferably with a water based tonic) to clean any imperfection around the eye.
- The last thing: don't forget the mascara!!! (you can try Younique 3D Mascara , soon review about it)
TOP TIP: with smokey eyes it's better not to overly make up your face with strong colours on the lips. You want the eyes to be the feature with this look, so nude lips could be the perfect choice for you, or even just a lip gloss with a subtle pink, peach or coral shade.
(Credits: these are all looks from my photoshoots with amazing photographer: Heidi Hannele Photography; picture N°7 by Giulia Photography).